Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Tagging

I enjoyed searching through tags on Flickr and LibraryThing.com. I thought the tagging made it fun to browse and see what you stumbled upon. Sometimes I would end up in a completely different place than I started. Sometimes it was difficult to make the searches as precise as I wanted. I had never used LibraryThing.com. This is a really cool site. I'm going to keep adding to my library. I really enjoyed seeing what other folks were reading. This site is a neat way to get new reading suggestions.

I do see tagging as a wonderful tool for web users. It's so easy to use. Tagging allows so many possibilities for accessing information. However, since tags are created by individuals, terminology is very subjective While a little haphazard, it is in line with the interconnective appeal of the internet.

I see myself continuing to use tagging as a web user. Browsing for web information through others' tags can sometimes lead to helpful or interesting information.

Maybe tagging would allow RCPL the opportunity to track how users actually use library materials. Allow users to see what other users are up to?

1 comment:

ETC said...

Congratulations on completing Tech Challenge - Tagging.

You have received credit for completing this challenge.

Keep up the good work!

ETC