Monday, February 5, 2007

Downloadable Media

I do use downloadable media and like it very much. I frequently download popular music and audiobooks. I don't yet find this a comfortable way of accessing my classical music. I am an ipod user. I do wish I could upload to my ipod. I realize this is a big, messy issue. This is the primary complaint I have received from patrons as well ( I can sympathize). I still find RCPL's downloadable services useful. I find it very convenient to be able to download to my pc. Being able to download to multiple stations makes this even more of a convenience.

There are obvious advantages to downloadable material: no late fees, ease of access...

Many of our patrons don't own a computer. Many do not know how to use computers at all. I hope that we can help serve the tech savy as well as those slow to adopt newer technologies. With slow download times and all of the supplemental accounts or downloads required for use, it is easy to see how some patrons can get easily frustrated or confused. I believe the library is in a wonderful position to try to help the community how to learn how to use these resources. I would love to see us conducting classes on how to use our services.

Another disadvantage of downloadable media-the patrons don't have to come into the library (both an advantage and disadvantage). It's harder to provide quality service remotely.

1 comment:

ETC said...

Congratulations on completing Tech Challenge - Downloadable Media. You have been given credit for this challenge.

We hope you found this challenge to be informative.

Keep up the good work!

ETC