Monday, February 12, 2007

Instant Messaging

I instant messaged the Marin County Free Library.
I sent the IM after 3pm. The Maroun County website indicates that the librarians are available from 3-5pm Mon. -Thurs. I asked about the population of Marin County.

I received a message back that stated that Marin Library was no longer signed on. I realize that this could be due to numerous circumstances. I tried reaching them again later in the hour, and received no response. ...

Just realized that they're in CA. I'm about to try again...

I have successfully used instant messaging in the past. I found it helpful for finding out brief factual information.

I frequently use IM through Google's Gmail system. Still, the majority of communication I do is through email. Although, it is exciting to know that someone is at a computer at the same time as you responding to you.

Being able to serve patrons through instant messaging could be very helpful. Some patrons would find it exciting to be able to have instantaneous remote communication. I do think that this method of communication is a prime target for misuse. This could frustrate staff and cost a lot of staff hours. As these example libraries have done, I think it would be important to clearly state the limits of IM.

Another drawback-the user doesn't know when the library is having technical difficulty, lack of response could easily be construed as lack of care, etc....

Just some thoughts.

1 comment:

ETC said...

Susan - Congratulations on completing Tech Challenge, Week 9-IM...just one more challenge to go!

Please remember that in order to have your name entered in the prize drawing tomorrow all 10 challenges must be completed by the end of the business day today, February 13, 2007.

Good luck!

ETC